Tuesday 29 August 2017

The Clear-Out

                Last year, I read and acted upon, the advice given by Marie Kondo in her book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying.  This involved learning how to fold clothes so that it was easier to store and access them and disposing of a lot of things that I had been hanging onto for no good reason. Though there has been a slackening in my tidying routine, I still know the whereabouts of everything I own. Ask me for a pack of cards or a paperclip and I will find it for you next to immediately. This time last year I would have been pawing my way through a drawer full of wires, coins, pens and post-its for up to five minutes before I found either of the above items. 
                A recent holiday prompted another clear-out but this time it was my head that I tidied up.  While I was away, I realised that one of the main reasons I find breaks so relaxing and stimulating is that as well as a change of scene, I have a change of routine.  As I was abroad, I wasn’t able to buy my preferred national newspaper and as there was so much to see in my new surroundings, I didn’t feel the need to look at the news websites I usually checked twice or three times a day. I didn’t listen to talk radio either, save for some programmes on BBC Radio 4 while driving but none of those shows were discursive or centred on current affairs.  They were gardening programmes and documentaries.
                Those hours I usually spent perusing newspapers and websites and listening to people talk about politics, I devoted to reading books and when I wasn’t reading books I talked to my wife or looked around me. I noticed that reading books was easier without the temptation of the internet, that I was finding it easier to settle into a book, and that I was listening more closely to my wife and noticing more of what was going on in front of me or around me.  
This was still the case when we got home and I continued the same regime. Sitting at the kitchen table, with the radio off for once and no newspaper or i-pad in front of me, I noticed how the petunias in the pot in the corner looked like old-fashioned hard-boiled ribbon sweets. I also stared long and hard at the dog’s noble greyhound face. Walking in the park, I saw a heron fighting with two seagulls.
 As my thoughts were no longer as swamped with sparkly bits of information, I started to think about my friends more often and started to text and to ring them.  I found myself staring out the window or at the wall and thinking more than ever about myself and my life, my family, my friends, and what was close to me.  My sense of my priorities sharpened: I started to do thing I had been putting off: booking a check-up with the doctor, inviting friends over for dinner.  I had a series of epiphanies and, for the first time in years, I wrote a poem. I read books but more deeply than in years because they weren’t competing with the fast food of the net with their accompanying illustrative photographs and video clips.
I started to enjoy that feeling of being ‘almost bored’, just looking and listening in silence without the endless talk, the burbling adverts, the scrolling screen, the dyspeptic opinion pieces and repetitive sports journalism. And I realised how hooked I had become on ephemera, how I had got to know the names of famous people despite never having heard their music or seen them on television.
                It’s now two months since I reduced my media intake and though the initial excitement of the new regime has ebbed away, my sense of serenity has remained.  
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment