Tuesday 4 July 2017

The Pink and Fuzzy side of Stonehenge


                Stonehenge. One of the great pre-Christian sites, a mysterious collection of monumental blocks carried from afar and laid out in a fashion that is utterly beguiling. Shuffling along the path that surrounded the stones, I was surprised by the shivers that ran down my back when I saw a crow light on one of the carved lintels, an action that served to highlight the enormous size and strangeness of the stones.   
                But just as memorable as the stones themselves were some of the gifts available in the very busy shop in the visitor centre.  Standing near the back of a long queue, I saw a shelf with products aimed at pre-teen girls that included tubes of lipgloss and bags covered with pink love hearts and glitter and the word ‘Stonehenge’ written in the kind of jazzy, jagged script I associate with the late 1980s.
              I liked this blending of the ancient and unknowable with the light and sparkly, and it reminded me of watching girls walking to the St Patrick’s Day parade wearing bright green tights, shamrock earrings and cowboy hats, totally unburdened by the baggage of history and identity and just embracing the event as nothing more than a fun day out.        
                The Stonehenge/love hearts mismatch also brought to my mind another, less successful mixture of the old and the new I experienced on a tour of the Dunbrody famine ship, an immaculately restored vessel that sits in the harbour in New Ross. I was prepared for something deeply sobering but the hyper-enthusiastic guide and the actor-passengers wailing in the thickest local accents over the sick baby dolls in their arms managed to make crossing the Atlantic in a boat plagued by death and disease seem like a pantomime.   As much as I enjoyed the unintentional comedy of the tour, I felt a little sorry for those who had taken such pains to recondition the ship – I doubt they imagined they were preparing it for ‘Mrs Brown gets Cholera’. 
               But it’s weirdly refreshing that years after my visit, the words ‘famine ship’ make me smile and I’ve no doubt that when I think ‘stonehenge’ in the future, the vast stones will compete in my memory with electric pink bags. It’s funny what memory latches onto.

No comments:

Post a Comment