Monday 6 March 2017

Sport's Easy Riders


In his interviews and press conferences, Andy Murray seems affable and self-effacing and he surely deserves his recent rise to the top of the world rankings after so many years of playing in the shadow of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. So why is it so hard to watch him play tennis?  Why do I find myself rooting for his opponent every time?

I think it's because unlike Federer, who makes tennis look so easy and rarely seems to break sweat when playing, Murray growls and agonises and shouts at himself in frustration even during routine victories. Watching Federer glide around the court with such grace reminds me of the days at work when everything seems to go right, when I seem to have the answer just before the question is even asked.  Watching Murray reminds me of the days when I can't find my keys and the photocopier is broken. Days when I have to take the odd deep breath and remind myself  to stay positive. Murray's self-lacerating approach, his constant exhortations to himself to 'Come on!' look like a lot of effort, Federer's quiet floating around the court looks like fun.

I remember experiencing similar feelings when watching the supernatural talent of Andrea Pirlo at Euro 2012. While most of the players involved at the tournament were earnest, hard-running drones, the long-haired Pirlo strolled about with a half-bored expression on his face, the very picture of nonchalance. But the same player held onto the ball and passed it with the sort of perfection that made the viewer feel he had the ability to slow down time.  Like Federer, Pirlo was a full-time professional but he made football look like something he did as a casual hobby. It was hard to imagine him kicking a ball hundreds of times every day or sticking to a regimented diet and exercise routine.

With most professional sportspeople,  you do get a sense of the sacrifices they have made and the endless work they have put into preparation. It's there in their toned physiques, their tunnel vision focus interviews, their dogged performances. But without the likes of  Federer and Pirlo, sport wouldn't be worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment